Over the last few weeks, I could not help but notice the frequency with which the word “inspiration” is now being used in our vocabulary. Not a day goes by in which the word does not receive visibility via written word and/or auditory communication. That said, I decided to explore the definitions provided for the term “inspiration”, in order to determine what is in fact the quest that we are all now on.
Definition of INSPIRATION
- An idea: notion, hunch or whim.
- A stimulant to creative action: stimulus, motivation,
- The act of drawing in, especially the inhalation of air into the lungs
- The act or power of exercising an elevating or stimulating influence upon the intellect or emotions; the result of such influence which quickens or stimulates; as, the inspiration of occasion, of art, etc.
- A supernatural divine influence on the prophets, apostles, or sacred writers, by which they were qualified to communicate moral or religious truth with authority; a supernatural influence which qualifies men to receive and communicate divine truth; also, the truth communicated.
- Divine guidance or influence exerted directly on the mind and soul of humankind.
- The process of being mentally stimulated to do or feel something, esp. to do something creative: “flashes of inspiration”.
- Stimulation of the mind or emotions to a high level of feeling or activity.
So is it that we are seeking an external stimulus to drive us to action, to keep us functioning throughout the day?